Amazon

Embed code:

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Creative Thinking


I had a conversation recently with a fellow photog and somehow the topic of altering photo's came up. He immediately took the stand that a good photographer should never have to alter a photograph in order to make in interesting.
I thought about what he said and I came to the conclusion that I disagree with him.
Although I agree that a good photographer can capture and image, in a way that's unique and interesting, and that image can stand on it's own, I also feel that credit should be given to a photographer that can take an ordinary image and give it interest with just a bit of creative thinking.
Take the photo that I'm posting today as an example. How many times have we seen the American Flag? It never changes and we've seen it so often that we don't even notice it. Having said that, if a photographer manipulates that photo of the American flag it now has the ability to make people stand up and take notice.
Photography isn't just about taking a photograph. As a photographer strives to capture an image that evokes emotion, it is also the responsibility of the photographer to make the ordinary become extraordinary. Sometimes, that takes a bit of creative thinking.
Photo copyright 2009
Eastcreek Photography

2 comments:

  1. Tina - Obviously the photographer you had that conversation with wasn't me! - Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! No Jay, you think a lot like I do! To be perfectly honest, I don't understand why some people refuse to acknowledge that ALL photographers enhance, manipulate, and even at times straight up "create" an image! That is the "Art" of photography! I stand by the idea that a good image CAN stand alone, without enhancement, but I also recognize the creative side of turning an ordinary image into an extraordinary one!

    ReplyDelete