Amazon

Embed code:

Saturday, December 26, 2009

I Resolve....


It's rather funny how we get all geared up for Christmas; spending weeks shopping, wrapping, cooking, shipping and mailing out Christmas cards. Then, the moment Christmas is over we all start pondering what our New Years Resolutions will be.
Oh, there's the usual... lose weight, spend more time with the family, make more money, but have you ever wondered why we set ourselves up for failure like that? I mean, really? Do we need January 1st to be the day we decide to improve our lives? Shouldn't we be doing that every day? I am not one to make New Years Resolutions, and this may surprise some of you, but this year I am! So, what will my resolution be?
I resolve that in the year 2010 I will not only finish my first novel, but I will publish it before the year is over! Do you think I may be aiming too high? Possibly, but here's the thing: Two years ago I began working on this project (if not on paper, then at least in my head). I have managed to write the story beginning to end, but that's where I left it. When it came time to make changes I walked away from it and it's still sitting on my desk. And...what's a novel if it never leaves the comfort of my desk?
Very few people are even aware that I have been working on this project and you may be wondering why is that? I have kept quiet about this because once you put it out there it's expected that you will finish it. Ah Ha! Now this New Years Resolution thing is making sense! If I tell people about my book then perhaps they will hold me to the fire! Now I will have to finish it! The way I see it is like this: We may all have the best of intentions, but if you're the only one that knows what your intentions are, then it seems rather easy to disappoint ourselves (Hey, I never said my rationalization made sense). However, when we think we may be disappointing other people we tend to put forth our best efforts. So my dear friends, there you have it! I'm telling you what my New Years Resolution is so YOU can keep me on track!
Best wishes to all of you for a very happy 2010!

2 comments:

  1. Well, here's one follower who will be prodding you to finish it! A photographer, now a novelist! What's next? Oprah's replacement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Ha!
    I wish I could be Oprah's replacement! Dang!
    Photography is easy because I love it... Writing? Hmmmm... I never said I was any good at that! But, what the hell?! Don't we all have a story somewhere inside us? I'm gonna tell that story, and if it sells then great, if not, well... at least I tried!

    ReplyDelete